Friday, May 7, 2010

Crew-95: Return to the Mars Desert Research Station (MDRS) in June


I will be returning to the Mars Desert Research Station (MDRS) next month as an engineer on Crew-95. The crew for this mission will consist of MDRS veterans Artemis Westenberg, Keith Keplinger, James Harris, and Joshua Nelson. This will not be a research/science mission but rather a refit mission to prepare the Hab for the next research season as well as the summer program put together by Dr. Penelope Boston. During our stay at the MDRS, the Mars Society will be hosting the University Rover Challenge (June 3-5, 2010) where teams of university students will be bringing a new generation of Mars rovers for a series of challenging tests. This will be the fourth University Rover Challenge hosted by the Mars Society.

This is the Oregon State University's 2010 Rover:

2 comments:

Amnon I. Govrin said...

That's cool. I want to be on one of the missions as well (can't get away too much from work this year...)

When I visited MDRS-89 it made an impression of a very out of this world experience that teaches people about themselves and also contributes to an eventual mission to the real Mars.

Good luck!

Laksen Sirimanne said...

Thanks Amnon. I completely recommend getting on one of these missions. I am not in the space/aerospace fields so this sort of stuff is new to me. I had an amazing and incredible experience both scientifically and from a spiritual perspective.
Laksen